The City of Roseville requires rental licensing of Multi-family Rental Dwellings (MRD). Rental Licensing includes inspections of rental units and common areas. The Rental License Program assures that MRDs with 5 or more units in Roseville are safe, sanitary and well maintained throughout our community.
The program includes a yearly inspection by the Roseville Fire Department.This limits inspections and keeps our multi-family rental properties safe. The annual multi-family inspection includes the annual Fire Inspection as well. The “grading scale” has been eliminated and inspections are a simple “pass/fail” evaluation.
We strive to make this program and inspection process as easy as possible. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated. If you have questions or concerns regarding the Rental License Program please contact us at any time.
Thank you for your cooperation and we look forward to working with you.
Tenant Notification Ordinance
Multi-family properties are subject to the requirements in the City's Tenant Notification ordinance, passed in November 2022 (City Code Chapter 910). This ordinance contains pre-sale notice requirements for owners of buildings with at least 20% of the units rent at affordable levels and post-sale 90-day period during which a new owner is restricted from modifying leases or raising rents, among other requirements. Learn more about the Tenant Notification ordinance.
- Which rental dwellings need licenses?
- Why do rental dwellings need to be licensed?
- When is the license fee due?
- How much are the fees?
- Will all units be inspected?
- Does the owner need to accompany the inspector?
- Who decides which units will be inspected?
- When will the inspection occur?
- How long is the license valid?
- When will the license be issued?
- When will we receive license renewal information?
- Where can I find the entire Rental License Ordinance?
- Who should I contact if I have more questions regarding rental licenses?
Since inspections will be annual, each year every MRD property will need to be licensed through our online process. For a step by step guide of our online Licensing process CLICK HERE. You can visit Roseville ePermits to create an account and begin your license process. LICENSING MUST BE DONE FOR EACH BUILDING AND BE COMPLETED BEFORE FEBRUARY 1, 2023. Please do not hesitate to call or email with any questions.
Frequently Used Documents
Below are documents needed for inspections. These documents should be presented at the inspection, or uploaded during the renewal process.