For many people, owning a home means stability and independence. Homeownership helps families build generational wealth and it strengthens a community. In 2021, the City’s Economic Development Authority approved a first-generation downpayment assistance program.
First-Generation Downpayment Assistance Program
This program is designed to help first-generation home buyers make a downpayment, with loan funds to be repaid upon future sale of the home. To qualify, applicants must demonstrate their parents have never owned a home. Applicants can still qualify if their parents previously owned a home but it was lost to foreclosure.
- Up to $25,000 deferred 0% interest loan
- Income limits
- Purchase price limits
- Home buyer education requirements
Contact the Lending Center at 612-335-5884 or the Roseville EDA at 651-792-7015!
Down Payment Assistance Program Search Tool
This interactive tool from the Minnesota Homeownership Center identifies the various downpayment assistance programs a first-time homebuyer may qualify for based on their unique personal circumstances and the location of the property they’re buying.
FirstHOME Buyer Assistance Program
Ramsey County has expanded the guidelines for its homebuyer assistance program that helps first-time homebuyers purchase homes more affordably. The home purchase price limit is now $372,600, maximum buyer contribution is 1% of purchase price, and there are no limits on the amount of assets a buyer can have. Learn more at Ramsey County's Homebuyer Assistance Program. There are now two options:
Eligible First-Time Homebuyers
- Up to $20,000 for downpayment or closing costs
- 0% deferred loan interest, due upon sale
- Income limited to 80% AMI according to household size
Eligible First-Generation Homebuyers
- Up to $93,150 for downpayment or closing costs
- Maximum loan 25% of home purchase price
- Loan interest forgiven at 5% per year for 20 year period
- Income limited to 80% AMI for 1-3 member household, 100% AMI for 4+ member household
- Must sign a document stating they have never owned a home and their parents have never owned a home
Minnesota Housing Homeownership ProgramsIf you're purchasing your first home or refinancing, all borrowers must qualify for an underlying mortgage product (FHA, VA, RD, Conventional), and the home must fall within Minnesota Housing's purchase price limits. Minnesota Housing loan programs are then layered on top to provide you with additional benefits. If eligible, you may also add a downpayment and closing cost loan when you receive a Minnesota Housing Start Up or Step Up loan.
First-Time Home Buyer (or haven't owned a home in last 3 years)Start Up
Downpayment and Closing Cost Loans
Repeat Home Buyer (currently own/owned in last 3 years, want to buy different home)Step Up Purchase Loan
Downpayment and Closing Cost Loans
Refinancing Current HomeStep Up Refinance Loan
Affordable First Time Home Buyer ProgramUsing the general criteria for Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity programs:
- Have lived in Twin Cities seven-county metro area for the last 12 months
- Cannot have owned a home during the past 3 years (waived for U.S. military members and veterans)
- Owners of manufactured homes are eligible
- Income qualified at less than 80% of Area Median Income
Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity Homeownership ProgramTwin Cities Habitat for Humanity provides financial coaches, homeownership advisors, and mortgage financing. Whether you’re looking to buy a home on the open real estate market or one of the homes Habitat builds and sells, Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity can help you buy a home affordably. Learn more
The program offers:
- Access to an affordable, fixed-interest mortgage, with no downpayment and no mortgage insurance
- Access to affordability and closing cost assistance
- One-on-one financial coaching with a customized action plan to manage your budget, pay off debt, understand credit, and save for your home purchase
- Home buyer education classes prepare you for the responsibilities of homeownership
- Post-purchase support provides maintenance advice, resources, and opportunities to connect with your community