Contractor Licenses

Apply for a Contractor License online

View instructions for how to use the online system.

Contractor License Annual Fee: $63.00 ($3.00 processing fee included)

Licenses expire one year from the date of issuance NOT on the new year.

A City of Roseville license is required for contractors that are not licensed or required to be licensed by Department of Labor and Industry, but it is not intended to provide any level of consumer protection. To verify the status of licensed residential contractors, remodelers, and roofers, search under the Residential Contractors "Discipline" on the Department of Labor and Industry license lookup tool.

Who is required to apply for a City Contractor License?

These may include, but are not limited to:

  • Building contractors working on a commercial property
  • Contractors preforming mechanical/HVAC work that do not also hold a state plumbing license
  • Sign contractors
  • Single trade contractors who do not hold a state license

Contractor License Requirements

Please note the general liability insurance requirements have recently been revised by City Council. 

The Certificate of Insurance must carry insurance with a minimum of these liability levels (Roseville City Code, Chapter 307):

General Liability: Bodily injury liability shall not be less than $500,000 for injuries to any one person, including accidental death, and not less than $1,500,000 aggregate. Property damage liabilities shall not be less than $500,000 for each accident and not less than $1,500,000 aggregate.

Worker's Compensation: The State requires that sole proprietors or partnerships sign a waiver if they choose not to carry Worker's Compensation insurance. The waiver must be signed by each person involved in a partnership.

Tree Contractor License

The City of Roseville requires any company that removes or trims trees from public or private property within the city to be registered with the Minnesota Department of Agriculture. Ask to see their registration or check the MDA licensing webpage to ensure they are registered.

The same general liability insurance requirements pertain to Tree Contractor licenses also. State law requires all companies and persons conducting tree care activities to be on the Tree Care Registry. For questions regarding the registry, call MDA at 651-201-6611.

Building & Remodeling Award Program

The Roseville HRA is funding an award program to recognize and reward residential properties that incorporate best practices for improvements when building or remodeling a home. For more information, visit the HRA's Building and Remodeling Award Program, or view the award program brochure (PDF).

Contractors may apply for the award on behalf of the homeowner!  View the building and remodeling award application (PDF).