Help Keep Medicine out of the Wrong Hands
When a loved one passes, Roseville police officers and firefighters often get asked what that family should do with unused medication. Families used to be told to dump the medications down the drain or put in the trash. The government is recognizing that both of those options have serious (and sometimes deadly) consequences.
To help facilitate proper disposal of unwanted medications, Roseville police officers and firefighters have medication disposal bags available for residents to dispose of small quantities of medication. Bags can hold up to 90 pills, or 12 ounces of liquid medication, or 12 transdermal patches. The bags contain activated carbon that neutralizes medication and prevents it from contaminating groundwater.
To dispose, simply place medication in the bag, fill halfway with warm water, wait 30 seconds, seal the bag, then discard with your normal trash.
Medication disposal bags are available during regular business hours at the Roseville Police Department at 2660 Civic Center Drive or at the Roseville Fire Station at 2701 Lexington Ave.
Please help keep the community safe.
• Prevent abuse or overdose of drugs - whether intentional or accidental, medications in the cupboard could lead to the misuse of the drugs.
• Prevent accidental poisoning - reduce the risk of accidental consumption by children or pets.
• Protect against theft - burglars often look for prescription medication, either to use or to sell on the street.
• Protect the environment - many people dispose of over-the-counter and prescription drugs by flushing them down the toilet or throwing in the garbage. Medications can seep into groundwater and soil and contaminate drinking water.
Large qualities of medications can be safely disposed of at the following Ramsey County locations:
• Law Enforcement Center at 425 Grove St., St. Paul
• Sheriff’s Patrol Station at 1411 Paul Kirkwold Dr., Arden Hills
• North St. Paul City Hall, 2400 Margaret Street, North St. Paul
Get more information, hours and directions at www.co.ramsey.mn.us/ph/rt/medicine_collection_program.htm or call 651-633-EASY (3279). Calls answered 24/7.